Critical appraisal of a qualitative study for life and medical sciences
Once you have identified information for your research, you should appraise it for its validity, currency and applicability. This is particularly important in the health sciences where poorly conducted research may potentially have a negative impact on patient outcomes. It is also an important skill to utilise in research, to ensure your research is based only on the highest quality studies.
This session will include an introduction to critical appraisal skills and a brief recap of the key study design elements of qualitative studies. This will be followed by a practical appraisal of qualitative study using a validated appraisal checklist.
Aim: To introduce students to the skills and knowledge necessary to critically appraise a journal article.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of this course you will:
- Be able to explain the importance of critically appraising articles and what the process involves.
- Be able to select the appropriate CASP checklist to use to appraise different study designs
- Have experience of critically appraising a qualitative study using a CASP checklist
- Friday, November 22, 2019
- 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Group Study Room 2
- Royal Free Hospital Medical Library