Mendeley (for Doctoral School only)
This session provides an introduction to Mendeley, a freely available application which enables you to manage and automatically cite references and produce a bibliography, and allows online citation sharing with a research community. The session will include a hands-on exploration of Mendeley.
Mendeley is a freely available, web-based, reference management, citation sharing and collaboration tool. It can be used to identify and store useful references, to connect with other researchers with similar research interests and identify what other researchers are reading. The Desktop version is available on Desktop@UCL and is also freely available to download. The Desktop version allows management of full text documents and automatic insertion of references in a Word document, including automatic bibliography generation.
The aim of this session is to introduce the features of Mendeley, looking at both the online and desktop versions. It covers creating a Mendeley account, adding references and full text documents to that account and organising and managing those references. It also looks at using Mendeley with Word, inserting references and generating a bibliography in a citation style of your choice. This is a practical session, giving attendees the opportunity to create and work with their own Mendeley account. The session is held in a UCL cluster room, but attendees may bring their own device if they prefer.
By the end of this course you will be able to
- outline the main features and uses of Mendeley
- address the strengths and weaknesses of Mendeley, including in relation to licensed packages such as EndNote
- add references to a Mendeley account from electronic sources and manually
- work with full text documents in Mendeley
- organise and manage references
- use Mendeley to insert citations and bibliographies in a Word document, creating in-text citations and a bibliography
- synchronise the desktop and online versions of Mendeley
Location: Queen Square Library Training Room, 1st Floor, 23 Queen Square. Map: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/maps/ion-library. Please note that latecomers can only be admitted for the first 20 minutes of this course.
- Thursday, December 5, 2019
- 2:30pm - 4:30pm
- Time Zone:
- UK, Ireland, Lisbon Time (change)
- Queen Square Library
- Queen Square Library