Introduction to Zotero
This session provides an introduction to Zotero, a freely available application which enables you to manage and automatically cite references and produce a bibliography, and allows online citation sharing with a research community. The session will include a hands-on exploration of Zotero.
Zotero is a freely available, web-based, reference management, citation sharing and collaboration tool. It can be used to identify and store useful references, to connect with other researchers with similar research interests and identify what other researchers are reading. The Desktop version is freely available to download and can also be downloaded on Desktop@UCL from the Software Centre. The Desktop version allows management of full text documents and automatic insertion of references in a Word document, including automatic bibliography generation.
The aim of this session is to introduce the features of Zotero, looking at both the online and desktop versions. It covers creating a Zotero account, adding references and full text documents to that account and organising and managing those references. It also looks at using Zotero with Word, inserting references and generating a bibliography in a citation style of your choice. This is a practical session, giving attendees the opportunity to create and work with their own Zotero account. Laptops are provided but UCL attendees may bring their own device and connect to Eduroam if they prefer.
By the end of this course you will be able to
- outline the main features and uses of Zotero
- address the strengths and weaknesses of Zotero, including in relation to licensed packages such as EndNote
- add references to a Zotero account from electronic sources and manually
- work with full text documents in Zotero
- organise and manage references
- use Zotero to insert citations and bibliographies in a Word document, creating in-text citations and a bibliography
- synchronise the desktop and online versions of Zotero
- Tuesday, November 26, 2019
- 11:00am - 12:30pm
- Chadwick Cluster 2.23