Literature Searching and Databases for Biomedicine
This session aims to give attendees the knowledge and the ability to carry out searches on a variety of resources, including the Ovid interface to databases such as Medline, Embase and PsycInfo as well as other databases including the Web of Science, Scopus and the Cochrane Library.
This session will cover:
- Creating a search strategy, in the Ovid version of Embase, to answer a research question.
- Translating that search strategy into other search interfaces
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Translate a research query into an effective search strategy
- Use thesaurus and text word searching
- Combine searches using AND, OR and NOT
- Use truncation, phrase searching and other database search syntax
- Search a range of databases
MSc Students: Important booking information
Bookings for MSc students will be provisional until a firm place on the course is confirmed by a library administrator.
Please note that priority on our courses is given to staff and PhD students from UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, UCL Institute of Global Health, and Great Ormond Street Hospital.
The library reserves the right to charge £50 for any cancellation made with less than 24 hours notice, as well as for failure to attend.
If you are more than 15 minutes late, we reserve the right to refuse entry to the session.
UCL ICH Wolfson Centre, First Floor, Cluster Room I, 43 Mecklenburgh Square, London WC1N 2AP
- Monday, January 27, 2020
- 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Wolfson Centre First Floor Cluster Room I
- UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health LIbrary